Entertainment reporter Tré Steptoe is back to show us how to make another homemade desert. This time he's making a Louisiana staple, Beignets.
These treats are deep fried, covered in powdered sugar and delicious. They pair great with a cup of coffee and a group of friends.
- 1 package of Beignets Mix
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- Boil 1/2 cup of water
- Empty Beignet mix into large mixing bowl and make a small well in center
- Mix in hot water and vegetable oil and whisk until shaggy dough is formed
- Flour a flat surface and kneed dough until combined and no longer sticky
- Coat dough in oil and place in dough in oiled boil
- Cover with a warm damp cloth and let bloom for 30 min.
- Place bloomed dough on floured surface and flatten out to 1/4-1/8 in thick
- Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut out square dough pieces
- Heat 1-2 inches of oil in a pot
- When oil is hot, place 1-3 dough squares in oil and let cook for 4-5 min.
- Flip when edges are golden brown and let cook for another 1-2 min.
- Let strain on a paper towel
- Dust beignets with powdered sugar and serve hot